Friday, January 30, 2009

A Volcano in a Lake, in a Lake, in a Lake

One of the best parts of Manila was getting out of it for a day. It was a cramped, three hour ride in the back of a little truck, but we arrived safely and with plenty of time to see the volcano that we had set out to see.

 

A volcano in a lake, in a lake, in a lake.


The Philippines is not all sandy beaches and palm trees. The islands are diverse and include an array of places to discover from caves to rice terraces. On one of our first days in Manila we decided to venture over to Tagatay to see the Taal volcano (mostly after many prompts from yours truly about the amazing volcanoes that make up the country). For those of you who know me well, geology is my favorite subject that I didn’t study, specifically vulcanology. I am obsessed with volcanoes and was really excited to visit such an active one.

 

From the city center we hopped on a modified tricycle and headed towards the first lake. 

 

After the tricycle ride, we had to take a tiny boat to get to the volcano. Again, Abueng was a little nervous with the water, but I think she was still happy to be there.

 


We got pretty wet on the ride over, but it was quickly forgotten once we got to the island and saddled up on our horses. 


It took some tuff negotiating, but the horses were the fastest way to the top. My horse’s name was Cybershot!

  

 

From the top you could look down at Vulcan Point, "the world’s largest volcanic island within a lake on an island within a lake on an island.” 


There was also evidence of some geologic activity with a twinge of sulfur in the air and in the water. I was very excited to see that because everyone knows, Geology Rocks! (I will never get tired of geology humor)

    

The way back was just like the trip there, but in reverse. Instead of the tiny truck, we were able to hop on a bus for the ride home and I even got to try some Buco pie (Buco = coconut). I’m a giant coconut-NUT, but I wasn’t terribly fond of the Buco pie. The thing that threw me was that it was fresh coconut… not something usually found in the desert or South Korea for that matter.

 

Anyways, I would have to say this day was one of the best days on the trip. It is difficult for me not to have a GNIESS day on a volcano (tee-hee!).





No comments:

Post a Comment