Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ketchup

  Since giving thanks a few weeks ago, time has flown by and I am dumbfounded that Christmas is tomorrow! Even more shocking is that I have already been here for nearly four months! I have spent the last few weeks branching out and trying to meet some new people. As much as I appreciate the clan of foreigners that adopted me upon arrival, some new blood is necessary to keep things new and interesting. I now have my bearings and feel confident going out on my own to explore my own interests.

With the holidays approaching, I spent the last few weekends roaming the streets and markets of Seoul for the perfect gifts. Insadong has been my favorite destination since my first visit. It is a street of little shops and street vendors with everything from beautiful pieces of art to kitschy Korean souvenirs.

 I found this tiny flower bud stand for my mom that I thought was unique!  

In addition to shopping, I have been trying to get more involved in the Buddhist community in Seoul. I am really curious about Buddhism and look forward to learning anything I can. There are a few study groups that I have visited and last weekend I attended a winter solstice party! An added bonus is that I’m meeting some interesting and welcoming people. My favorite part so far is that the philosophies seem similar to things a therapist would tell you. So, it is basically like free therapy (remember, no health insurance in Korea). Here is a snippet from a book we are reading. It jumped out at me due to all of the good friends I have:

Do not choose bad friends. Do not choose persons of low habits. Select good friends. Be discriminating. Choose the best.

During one of my day trips of spiritual enlightenment and kitsch browsing, I happened to ask a group of American girls if the had seen a Tom N’ Tom’s around the area (this is a chain of coffee shops that I have fallen in love with due to their free internet and soft pretzels). Before I knew it the four of us were having dinner at a cute Italian restaurant. They are all teachers living in Seoul, out for the night to see Jump – a Korean martial arts comedy show. We ended up going to the show and having a fun ladies night out on the town.

 

From exploring Seoul to becoming familiar with my new turf in Paju city, I have met a number of other teachers living in my area. One girl is actually from Phoenix and lived about 15 minutes from me back home - small world. Wednesday is open mic night at the Frog & Toad, a foreigners hang out in Illsan. I have only made it there once since it is on a school night, but I had fun and plan to return.

    

Other than that, I have not been on any big excursions… laying low in preparation for the Philippines! I leave Saturday after Christmas and will not return until the next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment