Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!


December 31, 2008

I am currently sitting at Nigi Nigi Nu Noos, a bar on the white beaches of Boracay (Philippines), jotting down a little note for later publication. I am sipping on a mango daquari and I’m not at all concerned with my lack of wifi. Instead, I am taking a timeout from all of the group activities for a little “Dore Time.”

This last year, 2008, has been so amazing and I could only hope for an equally stellar year in 2009. Thinking back on everything I have seen and done this last year overwhelms me with gratitude for all of the blessings in my life. My health, family, friends and good fortune have always been and will contine to be the things I’m most grateful for.

As a tribute to the last, unforgettable year, I have composed a list of the top 10 things I am most prod of. So, before 2008 slips away like all of those years before, here are the moments and achievements that brought me to this amazing beach and tasty cocktail:

 

10 Things I’m Most Proud of in 2008

1. Quitting my job to pursue my dream of living overseas.

2. Traveling to South Africa, alone and meeting new, great friends there.

3. Surviving and learning from a broken heart.

4. Finding my voice and using it, even at the cost of a good friend.

5. Making it to work, alone - via public transport, on my first day teaching in South Korea.

6. Cage diving with blood thirsty Great Whites in Gaansbaai, South Africa.

7. Jumping from the world’s highest commercial bungee jump.

8. Adding 3 new stamps to my passport:  South Africa, South Korea, the Philippines

9. “Dore the Explorer” – I love writing it and I think people enjoy reading it! (Plus, I feel much more computer savvy, a former New Year’s “resolution”)

10. Surviving over four months without my parents within a 2-hour radius. I miss them, but my independence and confidence are growing in their absence.

 

In addition to reflecting on previous accomplishments, New Years is a time for setting benchmarks and goals for the upcoming year. If all goes according to plan, 2009 will be equally memorable. For this reason, my New Years goals (I don’t like resolutions) are ambitions and lengthy. With any luck, I’ll be 25/25 by this time next year. For the sake of full disclousure, some of these goals are repeats from the last year either because I didn’t get the opportunity to see it through or it is just a good goal that should permanently be on the list.

2009 Goals

  • Make one new, good friend
  • Train for high altitude hiking
  • Learn to scuba dive
  • Write a childrens book
  • Start a novel
  • Go rock climbing outdoors
  • See the Taj Mahal
  • Lay on a beach in Goa (India)
  • Learn more about Buddhism
  • Make it home for Christmas
  • Teach English at a Buddhist monastery in Nepal
  • Ride a camel in India
  • Do more yoga!
  • Learn to make and edit videos on the computer
  • Learn to create a webpage
  • Take a Korean calligraphy class
  • Learn to cook some Korean dishes
  • See the lantern festival in Thailand
  • Go to the mud festival in Korea
  • Take part in a winter retreat at a Buddhist monastery (one week of silence)
  • Ride an elephant in Thailand
  • Take a Korean quilting class
  • Be open to falling in love again
  • Make it to the base camp of Mt. Everest
  • Determine my next step…

  • On that note, I think everyone should take a moment to think about what they want to accomplish over the next year and then go do it! Gook luck and best wishes for a new year!

    Happy 2009! 

    1 comment: