Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Life - Chapter 1

As promised, here is the first chapter of highly anticipated chronicles of Zach. Enjoy!


The Life


Pivotal.  Monumental.  Once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.  Those are but three adjectives that have been used to describe the event.  There are some whom refer to the event as, "The Beginning of a New Beginning" or "The Day the Definition of 'Amazing' was Rewritten" or "Hope....Realized".


Me?  I merely refer to the event as "My Birth".  It was nothing special for me.  It was as typical as any birth that I've ever been associated with.  So why have some people chosen to superlativise my birth...and along with it so many other events since that time that can directly be linked to my birth?  Well, that's hard for me to answer.  How 'bout I just tell you the facts, and then maybe you will be able to tell me.


The year was 1980.  Jimmy Carter was president.  He was finishing his term and preparing the office for the actor/president that was to follow him.  I've had many friends, family, and other general colleagues tell me that if the great constitution of the United States of America did not directly forbid occupying the office of President by someone of fewer than 35 years of age, I would have been a shoe-in for the terms that were ultimately filled by Ronald Reagan.


Would that have been a good thing?  Well, let me ask you this:  would it have been a good thing for the United States not to have devoted so much money to the Star Wars missile defense program that never came to fruition?


At the tender age of 2ish, panic struck my family.  Some could say that it struck me, too, but honestly, I was never afraid.  I never gave it a second thought.  I was too busy fighting the ailment that made an early attempt at my life.  As it turns out, Spinal Meningitis was no match for me.  My parents say that I almost died.  My grandparents agree with them.  Little do they know, however, that I was just unable to communicate with them and tell them that all was okay; I was preoccupied with a certain fight.  Why do I not come clean and tell them now?  Why do I not let them know that my life was in good hands that entire time?  I'll tell you why.  Its the same reason the elders in The Village did not come clean and tell the truth about 'Those Whom We Do Not Speak Of'.  It would be bad for business; it would melancholize the script of my life.


I could continue with epic tales of my life.  I won't though.  It's not because I am afraid of boring you, though.  Conversely, it is for precisely the opposite reason; I am terrified that you would never be able to read anything else.  You would probably find everything else painfully boring after you read about my life.  Because I care....I will spare you.  Like I said, though, I'm not sparing you from having to read my story....I'm sparing you from having to read anything else AFTER you read my story.


Instead, I will skip ahead to the present.  I believe that I have effectively left my mark back home.  The United States knows who I am.  At least, those that merit knowing who I am know me.  And that's all that matters.  You see, I don't do it (my life) for the benefit of those that do not matter.  That would be pointless.  I do it for the benefit of those that do matter.


Anyways, the significance of other individuals is neither here nor there.  I just want you to know that I am living in South Korea now.  Why?  Because they wanted me.  What am I doing?  Nothing out of the ordinary.  I wake up every morning.  I change a child's life....for the better.  I go home.  I go to sleep.  I get up the next morning and do it all over again.  How do I manage to keep my head in the game every single day?


It's who I am.


It's who I am........


2 comments:

  1. Ok, sorry that I'm totally stalking you right now but I'm just so excited that I stumbled upon your blog and I get to see pictures of the people I'm going to work with! Also, I hope Zach has paved the way for your tolerance of Texans because I, too, am a Texan. More precisely, I'm a Dallasite.

    So anyway, Linda said I'm taking Kate's place. Please email me! I'm also on facebook. Look for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Zach's chronicles are riveting thus far.

    ReplyDelete