Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Tribute

Despite what Canadians and retailers believe, Thanksgiving occurs in November (not October or earlier). Likewise, Koreans also have no idea when Thanksgiving occurs or what it actually entails based on traditional American standards. That said, I have had a difficult time getting into the spirit of this holiday without the premature Christmas decorations lining store aisles and the staple French’s French Fried Onions and evaporated milk stacked high enough to make the aisle impassable.

 

To help me feel more at home, I have decided to blog about my family in a Thanksgiving Tribute!

 

My family means the world to me. Being so far away has, hands down, been the most difficult part about this adventure. Luckily, Skype has been able to keep me connected. I am able to call home at any time and my mom has even mastered video conferencing! Despite the amazing technology, until my teleporter is delivered (Santa has me on a waiting list), I am still going to miss out on family dinners and other get-togethers.

 

One of my many observations since coming to Korea is that I have quite a unique relationship with my family – we actually get along for extended periods of time and to go more than a few days without checking in means something has gone terribly wrong. Before I came here, I was dead set on moving to Seattle upon my return... but now I am seriously reconsidering. I feel overly blessed to have such amazing people in my life. To distance myself from them for this year is challenging enough.

 

On a lighter note, I thought I would share a little bit about my prior Thanksgivings. Jump into my time machine with me (stupid time machine works…still waiting on the teleporter!) to twenty years ago…

 

Do-doo-do-do   Doo-doo-do-do   Doo-doo-do-do

 

Since the beginning of my time (as far back as I can remember at least), my parents used to pack up the tents, then tent trailers and eventually the Airstream (those tin can-looking campers) for Thanksgiving in Rocky Point. This is the closest beach destination for us desert dwellers, and nothing kicks off the holidays like margaritas and a tan. Although unconventional, we always had a fantastic time with our friends that were our extended family before the real family started migrating to Arizona. Thinking back, I am AMAZED that my mom was able to pull a Thanksgiving dinner out of the Airstream’s kitchen (it was very small).

    

Thanksgiving in Mexico lasted until I went to college and the Airstream was sold…

 

Since then, Thanksgiving has taken on a more traditional itinerary. My mom and her sisters share the hostess title and the dinner location is revolving.

 

Now, back to the time machine to one year ago…


Do-doo-do-do   Doo-doo-do-do   Doo-doo-do-do

 Last year sticks in my head because, compared to the prior Mexico Thanksgivings with many friends and little family, I had so much family that I ended up having 4 dinners! I started the day by booking my trip to South Africa, something I had been brewing over for the last month or so. The first dinner was at my younger sister’s house, which I normally don’t make it to due to other family obligations. Recent news regarding my biological father’s health prompted the decision to go. I figured it would be good to spend some time with that side of the family and I’m grateful that I did. Dinner was delish and after a few hours of gossip I was back on the road to my aunt’s house (on the other side of the valley).

Leading up to this day, there had been a lot of drama over the guest list and tensions were a little high. My parents were absent from this particular dinner because my dad had come down with shingles and the family blackballed him in fear of catching something (even though he was on medication and no longer contagious – drama, drama, drama). Anyways, I had a few great hours with my adorable cousins, grandma, aunts and uncles and then I was off again!

 

By the time I got to my sister’s house, dessert was being served and I was greeted with ANOTHER piece of pie. Incase you were keeping count it was my 3rd slice of the day… not that I’m complaining, I love pumpkin pie! I spent a few hours playing with my beautiful, brilliant nieces and relaxing on the porch discussing the upcoming excursion to South Africa. Finally, I was on my way to my parents for an evening dinner AND more pie!

     

It was a hectic day of traveling, but the pie and company made every mile worth it. Like I said, my family means everything to me. I wouldn’t be who I am without them and I while I am half a world away, I want them to know they are in my thoughts and I am there in spirit!

     

  

Save a slice for me!


For those of you who are curious, my Skype name is doreab. Check out their website and say hello sometime! It is free to make calls computer to computer, all you need is an account!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving (yesterday) Dore! Your post made me cry. Seriously. You are lucky you have such a great family!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that i love love love this post! I have read it twice now. You and your family are so amazing! miss you like a horny dog misses its pillow...

    ReplyDelete